The Tabor City Baptist Church had its beginning, in so far as can be ascertained, in 1838 as the Mount Tabor Baptist Church. The first building was a log structure located on the outskirts of the little village of Mount Tabor on Old Stake Road. In 1872, a new frame building was erected on the site of our former high school. This structure was enlarged in 1886 to take care of an increase in membership. As the church continued to grow there was a need for a new building at a new location. In 1906, Mr. William “Bill” Fowler, grandfather of Mabel Fowler and Janice Richardson, gave the land to the church and a new frame building was started on the present location. It was completed in 1908 and George F. Stanley from Loris was pastor.